Local Governing Bodies
Local Governing Bodies and Governor Challenge Committees
Swale Academies Trust values the scrutiny of local governance and believes that effective governance is best delivered when school leaders are held to account and are challenged on pupil outcomes and the quality of educational provision. Our Trust relies on the valuable input of a considerable number of experienced and committed local governors. The Local Governing Bodies/Governor Challenge Committees provide focussed and challenging governance for each school at a local level on behalf of the Trust Board. For an overview of how governance works within our Trust, please visit our Governance page.
For Local Governing Bodies/Governor Challenge Committees to carry out their role effectively, governors must be:
- prepared and equipped to take their responsibilities seriously;
- accountable to the Trust Board;
- willing and able to monitor and review their own performance.
We would expect that the core business of each Local Governing Body/Governor Challenge Committee to:
1) Encourage, challenge and hold to account school leaders to constantly raise standards within the school, through the effective reviewing and monitoring of:
- the School Development Plan;
- Leadership and Management, and Safeguarding;
- Personal Development, Behaviour and Welfare;
- Outcomes for Pupils;
- Quality of Teaching, Learning and Assessment;
- Staffing, and;
- Premises and Health and Safety.
2) Ensure that Trust policies are implemented and relevant school-level policies and procedures are reviewed.
3) Have financial awareness and review the impact of Sports Funding and Pupil Premium expenditure.
Please find information below about our individual school Local Governing Bodies and Governor Challenge Committees. Information about our Members and Trustees can be found on our Company Information page. All information published on our Trust website is in accordance with the requirements set out in the Academies Financial Handbook 2019.